Monday, August 15, 2011

They do exist...


Few people can claim they have known their best friend for as long as I have known mine.  In fact, I can't even tell you how we met or what we first thought of one another.  Growing up with two brothers, she is the closest relation I will ever have to a sister.  We have known each other literally since we were in diapers and there are few, if any, recollections that I have that she has not been a part of.  Many adventures and bouts of mischief, none instigated by me of course, were shared by the two of us with countless stories to fill a lifetime of memories.  There is one memory however, that stands out far above any others...

I full heartedly believe in angels.  This can be declared without a trace of doubt for I have seen one before… well I should say we have seen one before.

Like so many of my older post I will take you back again to my childhood home where this incident took place many years ago.  This home sits upon about 60 acres of mostly farmland but towards the back of the property, our gravel lane extends to a large woods with an enormous hill leading down to a deserted gravel pit.  It should be noted that during this time my parents had oil wells set up around the property and the company that managed them kept a very small office not far from the bottom of this hill.  Now like most children of 7 we constantly tested our limits.  And what better way to do so then by ridding our bikes to areas that we were strictly told not to go?  This is how this story begins.

We rode towards the woods, down that long gravel lane, and came to the top of this very steep and large hill.  We waited, each silently pondering which one had the nerve to go first.   I was the brave one and decided to ride as fast as I could.  After making it down safely my friend followed only to have a terrible accident at the bottom.  Blood was gushing from her head and I was in a state of panic.  With my friend screaming in pain and myself in a total state of confusion as to what to do, I left my friend and rushed to this office only to find it locked with nobody around.  My screams and beatings on the door were in vain… what was I going to do? 

Tears running down my face I turned to go back to aid my friend only to discover a man by her side with a towel held up to her bleeding head.  He didn’t say a word, walked her over to the entrance of the office where I was standing and next thing I knew the door was unlocked and I was on the phone calling my mother to come and get us.  With my friend at my side, still holding that red towel to her forehead, we walked back outside only for this man to be gone, completely vanished.  We were the only ones in that deserted place.   

My mother arrived on the scene and all was put back to right once we were home.  It wasn’t until later in the day that we both realized what had taken place.  A locked door, a red towel, and a disappearing man…

To this day we both can account for what we saw.  

They do exist. 

1 comment: